IC London...I See France

29 March 2007

KFC Doesn't Translate

I'm not ashamed to say that I've had my fair share of American fast food since being in London this semester. I like cheeseburgers, and McDonalds is often the cheapest and easiest place to get that accomplished (especially considering our lack of appropriate cooking tools). But today I wanted some chicken. So, remembering various KFC-sightings, I dragged Meg with me to pay the Colonel a visit, fulling expecting some good ol' American food.

Mashed potatoes and gravy. Biscuits. Cornbread. Creamy coleslaw. Finally some good baked beans. Crispy chicken, not in nugget form. No, this isn't what we got - it's simply what we wanted. Imagine our surprise when, silly us, we expected to find the same KFC-goodness in London. We searched frantically for their signature mashed potatoes. Preferably on the menu, but even a picture would be some proof. Anywhere. Potatoes? Nope. Fries were the only potato on the menu. Oh, but they did have gravy as a side, which I'm assuming is for their poor mashed potato substitute of fries.

We reluctantly ordered what I can only imagine is supposed to be a family-sized meal: 8 chicken breast strips, 2 regular boxes of popcorn chicken, 4 regular fries, 2 large sides, and 1.5 liters of Pepsi. (Don't judge, we were hungry.) Of all that food, the only thing remotely resembling American KFC was the coating on the chicken strips. Seriously disappointing. The "large" sides were about the size of the usual individually-sized side in the US, leaving Meg and I with about 4 bites of each side, one each of baked beans and coleslaw. Surely, though they were small, they would be classic KFC. Not so. The coleslaw was bland as were the beans, which I have no doubt were of the Heinz variety. (It is here that I am going to officially say that Heinz should not make anything other than ketchup. Stick to your strengths, guys.) The popcorn chicken, while tasty, were not American popcorn chicken. Four "regular" french fries - read: smaller than a McDonalds' small fry each - will never ever, no matter how hard they try, take the place of those scrumptious mashed potatoes. Not even with a little gravy. And I'm still missing the biscuits and cornbread.

2 Comments:

  • Sorry Meg the best we can do for you at this point is eat it ourselves and think of you. LOL
    (It would spoil if we tried to ship it)

    All to soon you will be back in the States and then we will have to hear you cry about not having good gelato or haggis or pub food..

    Enjoy what you have while you have it.

    Love ya
    Mom & The Dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 PM  

  • Ohhhhh, for the taste of "good - ole - American junk food"!!!! I can imagine your heartache!!
    That makes me hungery . . . I think we're going to eat some K.F.C. tonight!!!
    Honey, we'll keep some for left-overs for you in May . . when your finally back in fast food heaven.

    Love,

    Dad

    By Blogger Dad Krzyske, at 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home