IC London...I See France

11 March 2007

Learning Italian Phrases (New Entry #6)

Thursday was our last Rome day, so naturally I used it to catch up on some sleep and didn't wake up until 9:30. Yay! Paddy and I ventured out with a short, leisurely list of necessary things to hit before we left.

We stopped at the Spanish Steps first, having only seen them in the dark before. They were covered in teenagers who seemingly had no school to attend. I was pretty annoyed they were ruining any pretty picture of the Steps that I had in my head, but mostly I find it odd (and am perhaps a bit jealous) that ruins and tourist attractions are popular hang outs in Rome. We walked up and looked at the outside of the Villa Medici since going in didn't seem like an option, took in the view from up there, and walked back down. Well, that's a set of steps for you.

Because of A Roman Holiday, I had to seek out the Mouth of Truth, or in Italian, Bocca della Verita. It was pretty tricky to find, but we managed. The line wasn't too bad, certainly not the longest one I'd encountered. Paddy and I both put our hands in the mouth. And, no, neither of our hands were bitten off. We crossed the nearest bridge to the Isola Tiberina where we sat by a statue amongst pigeons, ate gelato, and I began learning useless Italian phrases. First, my trio of gelato was amazing - kiwi, fruits of the forest, and vanilla. Kiwi! Fabulous. My favorite phrase: "Sono Anna Baldini. Ho una prenotazione a nome Jones." or "I am Anna Baldini. I have a reservation under the name Jones." Runners-up: "Mi piacono le anatre" or "I like ducks"; "Arriverderci a tutti" or "Goodbye everybody!"

After a hike up a mountain (exaggerating a bit there), we came across the prettiest fountain in all of Rome, Fonte Acqua Paola. We took in the view and sat around the fountain. It was quite enjoyable. We planned out a great sight-seeing route from there, but somehow were defeated by the great Via Garibaldi - the road that goes everywhere and nowhere, a torture device. We saw a memorial of I'm not sure what and the Spanish Embassy and a lot of pretty big houses and a park, but not what we planned. Score one for Garibaldi. We lost.

We ate dinner with Meg and Erin just outside of Piazza Navona, enjoyed our last gelato at Old Bridge, and that was the end of Rome. Venice in the morning.

2 Comments:

  • We are so going to have to find a good gelato place when you come back - or else learn how to make it!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 PM  

  • It sounds like gelato is a staple around there. . what it the world is gelato??

    I think I should have asked Nina that question before . . she said it was Italian Ice Cream . . OF COURSE!!! . . . I should have known!!

    Love,

    Dad

    By Blogger Dad Krzyske, at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home