IC London...I See France

24 January 2007

Snow in Hyde Park

I'm all done with another round of classes, and all I can say at the moment is that London classes take a lot of getting used to. I think 3 hour classes are hard enough after being used to classes that are an hour and 15 minutes - tops - and then the level of independence required in the classes is also rather difficult being that we are in London and not snow-covered Ithaca. Needless to say, I'm still adjusting to them. All I know is that I love British Pop.

Speaking of snow, we actually had some when I woke up this morning!! It was really pretty and unexpected. All I've been hearing is that London very rarely gets snow, and when they do, it's kind of like being in the South - they don't really know how to handle it. Well, the snow I got excited about wasn't more than a dusting, and it certainly did cause some problems: Most of the tubes had severe or minor delays. I actually don't think a single one was in "Good Service" mode when I left for classes this morning. The sidewalks and roads were covered with salt, and there was probably more salt than there was snow. It was sort of gross. The snow's gone now, though.

This upcoming Saturday there is another walk to Greenwich and the Docklands, though I won't be able to go. Instead I shall be working here in the ICLC with Paddy for about four hours, making just about £3.50 an hour (converted from NY's new, higher minimum wage). Sunday I'm very excited to go see Penny, my mom's friend who lives in Essex, to spend the day. By tube and train, it's about an hour East of where I'm living in London. I've never met her, but from talking to her on the phone, she's great. It should be a fun day.


1 Comments:

  • So which is grosser, salty London or sandy NY? I'd say it was probably the mucky NY mudslush!! One good thing about the length of classes in England is that it will prepare you for taking evening or weekend classes in the USA, if one has the inclination to do such a thing. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home