IC London...I See France

24 January 2007

News Edition

One of the things I love about London is the fact that, every time you leave the tube station, you are handed a free newspaper. Usually it's the London Lite (generally more amusing and also has information about all of the plays, music, performances, etc coming up) or The London Paper (has better Sudokus and looks prettier, I think). Anyways, from now on, I am thinking of writing about some of the stories you could only read being in London. These will come occasionally, if not weekly, depending on how many I find.

Here are two that amused me this morning (from the London Lite):


For Sale: the £170k Chelsea 'prison cell'
Housing prices in London are a bit ridiculous, to say the least. According to the article, prices in Chelsea (near the London Center) are rising 62%. This is the most extreme story I've heard, though. A 72 square feet flat, not big enough to swing a cat in according to the diagram, is selling for £170,000 (almost double in dollars) and it doesn't even have electricity! It was shown to prospectives using torches because it is so dark inside. There is room for a single bed, a chair and ottoman as well as a TV (but only if it is attached to the wall). Besides the "main" room, there is a wash room with a sink and toilet. And that is the extent of the flat. 3, three!, offers were made on the flat after it was shown. If it were to be rented, it would cost £150 per week, which is more than I pay for my flat. It also requires £30,000 worth of repairs if that makes it any more appealing.
(Here is a similar article with a picture from Yahoo: teeny tiny flat )

Shop Bans Jay the Two-Year-Old 'Hoodie'
In London there is this great dislike, and almost fear, of what they call "anti-social behavior." When we met with the policemen at the beginning of our trip, they described it as pretty much anything people don't like. Hoodies, or people who wear hoodies, are seen as anti-social. (Good thing I limited the amount I brought with me...) This little boy, wearing a hood of course because it was so cold, was in a corner shop with his grandfather when the shopkeeper asked that the grandpa remove the hood. He refused to remove his grandchild's hood saying, "He's only two and a half, I don't think he's going to rob you." Oh hoodies.

2 Comments:

  • & I thought it was expensive here!! Wow!!
    I love my house!!

    Love,
    Dad

    By Blogger Dad Krzyske, at 9:58 PM  

  • AH Real Estate such a wonderous thing! You can make a fortune while legally robbing others blind! I guess the shopkeeper was afraid it might have been another "Baby Face Nelson" hiding under that Hoodie!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home