IC London...I See France

07 February 2007

The Eccentric Flat 129

Having been in London and my flat for almost a full month now, I think I have finally come to accept the little quirks that make our flat what it is. And, love them or hate them, we're stuck with them until May and we just have to deal with what comes our way:

1. Our windows, particularly the ones in our room, rattle incessantly when even the lightest breeze blows through. Solution: plastic knives stuck in the cracks (my idea).
2. The plumbing is old and Victorian, and therefore, our toilet likes to take frequent breaks. We now have our landlord's plunger and Erin knows how to use it.
3. Our glasses like to jump off counters.
4. Most of our drawers and wardrobes ate their handles.
5. The internet only really likes the bedrooms in the flat, though it seems to be warming up the living room. Just a little.
6. The radiators stay on all the time. The off switches disappeared, much like all of those useless handles.
7. Because of this, the windows are often open. It's loud at night on our street, except when we don't really care if it is or not. We haven't quite thought of a solution to this problem, but I am getting used to the noise.
8. Our washing machine sings to us when it's finished - I think it's congratulating itself.



*Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, number 9, our oh-so-cool gambling toilet seat cover:

3 Comments:

  • You are hysterical. Love the descriptions of the things in your flat.
    Love ya

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM  

  • I am so jealous of that toilet seat cover. Steal it? And bring it back to Ithaca for the circle next year?

    Ok, so that might now be acceptable but I am seriously in love with that thing.

    Love you and miss you!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • That toilet seat could have really come in handy at the poker tournament for me last week!!

    You've got a good attitude - if you can't change things . . . enjoy what you have & be a comedian!!

    Love,

    Dad

    By Blogger Dad Krzyske, at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home